Wednesday, September 1, 2010

What a day... successful, but exhausted...

Had a session with the trainer today and it was really difficult. I just had no energy for it at all.  Towards the end, I was really looking forward to it being over.

I think it's a combination of the stress of the past few days, combined with the really hard run I did last night.  I needed to run today.  I set up an easy workout, but one that wasn't too mind numbing. 

I started with the treadmill at 4.0 mph, ran for 3 minutes, and increased by 0.1.  Did that until I got to 5.0, then came back down.  Total mileage was 4.7 miles in 63 minutes.  Not a tough run, but long, and at a pace that should let my legs recover.

I'm getting tired of my household scale, too. It's just too inaccurate.  Started using the gym scale.  It's one of those like you see in a doctor's office.  I've been weighing myself after each run.  This means I'm in a soaking wet tee shirt.  Still, today, I weighed 194 lbs.  In a dry shirt, I might have weighed a pound or two less.  I was pretty well hydrated, too, since I drank a quart of G2 during the run.

I'm hoping that the weight-loss is still occurring.  I'm not that diligent about the diet anymore, but I think I'm still in calorie deficit every day when I run.  When I don't run?  Probably not, but over time, I should consider to shed a pound every week or two. 

I have 5 more trainer sessions to go, then that's going to be it for me.  I can put myself through workouts that hit the necessary muscle groups.  I'm glad I got a trainer, because that jump-started this whole thing.  It snapped me out of a decade-long pattern and got me headed back on the path.

It's partly the expense, but also partly that I need the flexibility to work out as the opportunity presents itself during the day.  Scheduling an appointment is something I am loathe to do because I never know what will come up at work, or whether Logan will need me to be home to watch him, or whatnot.

In the business, we got another check today and will probably get another one Friday.  So, things are really looking up.  No telling what the future will bring, though.  We had a total of 4 credit cards with balances on them.  2 of them were for cash advances to make payroll.  2 of them were for things we purchased.  We'll be able to pay off 2 of them pretty quickly and probably be able to pay off the 3rd in the coming weeks.  I don't like having any with a balance, but this is progress.  You take what you can.

We just lost a great employee, though.  He took a job offer for $20 an hour, with full benefits, company car and gas card.  That's just nothing we can match.  He was a great employee in every way and I'll miss him, but sometimes that's just the way things go.  I hope he does well.  He always gave us 100%. 

We won't be replacing him right away, though.  Really, this is not all bad.  He is our 2nd highest paid employee, and we're headed into our slow season.  Usually things drop off in September and don't pick up until middle of December.  Last year, they never picked up, but I'm hoping this year reverts to more historical norms. 

I am feeling worn out by Servpro these days, though.  The parent organization, the franchisor, is really putting an onerous burden on us and it gets worse by the month.  This is truly what happens when a large parent organization has nothing better to do than generate reams and reams of paperwork to dump onto their franchisees.  I'd honestly need a couple of business analysts and an accountant to run the place the way they expect it to be run. 

I'm just wiped out.  I know it's partly because of the sum total of everything going on in my life.  It's also because this past year has been such a disaster, financially.  It's one thing to deal with massive hassles because you're getting a massive payday.  It's another to deal with massive hassles while trying to keep the place out of bankruptcy.

This is just one of those times where I've just got too many things coming at me from too many different directions.  Almost none of them are positive, and I can't do anything to improve any of them.  I'm just persevering and that's not something I do very well.  If I'm not moving forward, I'm mired.

I have my first quiz in Arabic, and that's been a positive experience so far.  The class is not moving all that fast, and that's okay with me.  I'm still pretty far ahead of the class.  There is one girl who is a native speaker (family is Lebanese), who is just there to learn to read and write.  Other than that, I'll be a little surprised if everybody passes the class.  We'll see, though.  People can surprise you.

Now, though, what I need most is a good night's sleep. 

No comments: