Sunday, September 5, 2010

In Defense of Treadmill and Track Running...

Now that my normal training run is a 6 miler, I feel a little less embarassed to say "I run".  When my speed gets just a little quicker, I will be able to say "I'm a runner" without embarassment or irony.

I actually like running on treadmills and tracks.  I know some folks find them dreadfully boring, and yeah, they can be that way.  However, I figured I'd just list off a few reasons why I like them:

1.  When I run on roads, I'm not really looking at much, other than landmarks to tell me how far I've gone, or more importantly, how much farther I have to go.  So, running on a track isn't that much more boring.  Granted, treadmill can be much worse, but with the strategic use of a television, it can be improved.

2.  On a treadmill or track, you don't have to stop for traffic.  You don't have to worry about being hit by a car.  You don't have to be on high alert to leap into the ditch because some teenager is trying to dial their cell phone or change the song on their iPod.  Same thing for not-having to avoid dogs. 

3.  You don't have to seek out water or bathrooms.  Okay, with the track, bathrooms might be a bit trickier, but at least you have water that will always be easily accessible.  You don't have to stash it, or risk running a long run on a hot day without it.

4.  Treadmill running?  There's no such thing as a hot or cold day.  They're all the same.  No drama about how many layers to wear, and whether to dress light and just be chilled for a while at first.  It's never raining and there's never ice on the ground.

5.  Although you can listen to music any time you run, it's clearly a safety issue when running on the roads.  Seriously, you should be attuned to the sound of cars, and be ready to make that leap.  Treadmill and track?  Bring on the iPod.  You're good to go.

6.  You always know exactly how far you ran.  For those of us, like me, who have a quantitative side and need to know exactly how far, treadmills and tracks give easy and constant feedback.

7.  You always know how fast you're running on a treadmill, and your speed is available every lap on a track.  This can be used to make sure you're running fast enough if you're training for speed.  It can also be used to make sure you're not running too fast if you're recovering or have some other training agenda that requires a slower run.

8.  Track and treadmill mean you can put your car keys someplace convenient, without worrying that you somehow accidentally opened your trunk when the thing is out of eyesight. 

9.  Running on a track, frankly, is as visually stimulating to me as running on roads because most of the time, I'm looking at the ground 10 feet in front of me. 

10.  Treadmill running is probably the most physically friendly type of running you can do.  There is no left or right tilt of the road.  The platform provides some minor shock absorption.  You don't have to worry about a pothole or tree root tripping you up or twisting your ankle.

Ultimately, I do run on the roads, and I also have a favorite trail I like to go to.  So, I'm not saying there isn't any appeal to running in other venues.  However, I wish our town let us run on the local track.  I once did a 12 miler on one, and frankly, I like it as much as I like doing longer distances on the road.  I also once did a 20 miler on a 1 mile track.  So, running small circles over and over again is just peachy keen with me. 

However, especially in a climate like mine, it's good to have a way to run that's simple, safe and effective, regardless of what's going on outside.

No comments: