Saturday, August 28, 2010

First Day of Tryouts Concluded...

Day one of "nervewracking travel sports parents anxiety maker" is done.  Logan did fine, but there were a few new faces in the crowd this year that I didn't recognize.  There are over 40 kids trying out for about 24 spots.  So, roughly, the top quarter will be on the heavy travel team (the one Logan made as a U9), and the next quarter will make the light team.

This year, they made a rule that parents were not allowed between fields during the tryouts.  (Basically, they wanted us to go far away from where we might influence the kids' tryouts.)  The rationale is that some parents can cause the kids to have the jitters. 

That, frankly, didn't make any sense to me.  They'll be practicing and playing in front of parents all next year if they make the team.  Still, I watched the tryouts from beyond the home run fences. 

Tomorrow is the 2nd and last day of the tryouts.  They're going to have the kids scrimmage so they can observe them under game conditions. 

I did see a few kids who didn't play on the team last year who look like they are good enough.  Overall, I'd say it's slightly more competitive this year compared to last. 

The suspense is the hardest part.  They say they will let us know in a couple of weeks.  Last year, though, I think they sent out the notifications on about Thursday. 

Fortunately, I still need to put in a run today.  That should mellow me out.  I also have an ab and shoulder workout due.

No comments: