Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Really hitting the wall...

Well... business isn't any better than usual.  Everybody is paying slowly.  Business is slow to begin with.  Today is a gorgeous, sunny day.  Every sunny day, to me, feels like somebody stabbing me in the chest.  We've had idyllic weather for 2 straight years, now.  Not one single hard thunderstorm.  Not one single hard freeze.  It's bizarre, and it's killing me and my business.

I actually looked into what it would take to file for bankruptcy today.  I was hoping to be able to sell my business, but honestly, I have no idea if there are any buyers and the business has done poorly for so long, now, I doubt it'd be attractive to anybody.

If there were any easy way out at this point, I'd take it, but almost all the paths out are messy.  If I could get out of the business, I could see about begging for a deployment.  It'd be a year away from my son, which is downright depressing.  However, my options are pretty limited.

It's also hard to get a deployment.  Lots of guys in my boat are reserve officers and really can benefit if they can get overseas for a year. 

We had to let go of one more employee this week.  He'll use up his remaining vacation and that will be it.  At this point, we've cut out all the fat, gone through some muscle and sinew and are cutting into bone. 

I honestly feel like one less employee and this ceases to be a business.  It's just me and a few helpers. 

I wish there were a positive way to frame all this, but it's just horrible.  April, it should rain, but lately, although I shouldn't, I can't escape the feeling that this business is just cursed and doomed. 

It's hard not to get superstitious.  It's hard to keep believing that things will improve if you've gone years without seeing the improvement.

At least the government did everything in its power to save the Wall Street bankers.  The rest of us are too small to matter.

No comments: