Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Carbs, Facebook and Movies

I went on a carbohydrate bonanza last night and I have to be honest, I don't feel that great today.  Inspired by the movie "fat head", I've been on a reduced carb diet, and honestly, I've been very happy with it.

Now, I'm NOT on Atkins or a no-carb diet or anything of the sort.  I think those are actually kinda dangerous.  I'm just reducing my carbs from 300-500 grams a day to maybe 100-150.  Enough carbs to keep the diet balanced.  However, much less than I am used to eating.

Given my druthers, I'd druther eat a diet that had very little meat in it and a ton of carbs.  However, I think both of those things work at cross-purposes to losing weight.  I don't have a scale, and I've also amped up my workouts, but so far, I'm getting good results with the new diet.

Based on how I feel right now, I won't be rushing back into a high carb diet any time soon. 

I saw "The Social Network" last night, and I had been avoiding watching it for some time, now.  Frankly, the movie was excellent, but the reason I avoided watching it was true to the mark. 

I didn't want to watch it because it would make me feel inadequate as far as what I have achieved in life.  I will probably go to my deathbed kicking myself for not being bolder and wiser in my life.  Timid and stupid is a bad combination.

The reason I say this is that in 1987, I was a computer science major.  By the time 1988 came around, I was a computer science major with a 3.97 gpa.

I should have been on the forefront of the internet revolution.  I should have moved to Palo Alto and really gone wild.

Instead, I was preoccupied with making money.  So, I worked way too much in college.  One thing led to another, and the end result was 6 years in college to get a degree in Information Systems. 

Even so, that was 1993, and I could have moved out to Palo Alto.  Instead, I took the only local job I could find and worked for a manufacturing company while I got my MBA at night. 

Then, it was 1997.  Third opportunity.  I could have moved out to Palo Alto.  Instead, I stuck around, took a promotion, was finally making good (but not great) money. 

Hearing or watching stories about internet gozillionaires is, to me, like being reminded about how close I was to making something extraordinary of my life.  I had the right general idea, but lacked the guts and vision to move to silicon valley to make something happen.

Now, I'm not saying I had the vision to be Jeff Bezos or Jeff Zuckerberg.  If there's one thing I lack, it's vision.  However, I had the ability to be a programmer in a startup.

Ah well.  You can make yourself crazy at my age by thinking of all the ways you could have done things differently.  That's probably the stuff that mid-life crises are made of.

No comments: