Monday, April 11, 2011

Back From Texas

The thing I like least about drilling in Texas is waking up at ungodly hours to make early morning flights.  Figure if my flight leaves at 6:00, I realistically need to wake up at 3:00 to give myself time for everything.  I also had to fly out early Monday instead of Sunday night because there was a NASCAR race that made my my usual Sunday night flight too expensive.

So, I'm still wiped out, but need to get back in the swing of things.  Need to make arrangements for a lot of stuff right now.  I need to make some calls to see if I can finally get into a class to finish up my requirements for DAWIA certification.  (Defense Acquisition.) 

The unit may be moving to different locations, other than Fort Worth.  Honestly, I'm not going to pay to travel at my own expense to anyplace other than Fort Worth or Phoenix.  So, if that happens, I'll try and get something local.  I didn't have much luck last time, but there's just no way I'm paying out of pocket for airfare to go to, say, Saint Louis. 

If I finish up that first level of DAWIA certification, that would sort of free me up to transfer to a different type of unit.  I wish I could get back into the DFAS unit in Cleveland.  That worked really well.  Lots of things to love about the Navy Reserve, but the scarcity of places you can drill at is not one of them.

I also need to get things rolling with the school to get my scholarship going, etc.  I'm playing it all by ear.

At this point, the business is just killing me.  Huge weather system rolled across the country, but I had to laugh as I saw the weather map and it dissipated right over my territory.  Fucking hell, this is getting old. 

Logan's travel baseball season starts Wednesday. 

I don't owe any taxes this year.  Trouble is, that means I didn't make any money.  Oh well.  We're still in trouble.  I need to do something different with my life.  I think I can add a second golden rule to my list of hard and fast small business rules.

#1 is don't do anything in food service.

#2 is don't do anything that's weather dependent.  Lots of folks have gone broke waiting for the rain. 

No comments: