Saturday, February 19, 2011

Fitness Tips from a Not-Very Fit Individual

Not sure why I'm inspired to write this.  Probably because I got my treadmill room set up.  It's still a bit of a mess, but it's convenient and it's working for me.  If I have easy access to a treadmill, I find it pretty easy to go and do a workout if I can avoid boredom.  In this case, I've done all I can to avoid the boredom.  I have stereo speakers for my iPod, a nice TV and a blu-ray player with netflix.

Now, yeah, I'm not a fitness authority.  I have spent more of my life out of shape than in-shape.  It seems like I'm constantly "getting into shape".  So, if I have any expertise, it's probably just because of the sheer number of times I've brought my fitness level up from zero. 

So, here are some tips I have.  Take or leave them as you will.

1.  Don't be discouraged that you can't do "enough".  This is probably my biggest single piece of advice and the thing I struggle with most.  I remember when I was young, they recommended 20 minutes of cardiovascular exercise, 3 times a week.  Now, I think it's something like 35 minutes, 4 times a week. 

If you can't do 35 minutes, 4 times a week, my advice to you is to just ignore that guidance, entirely.  20 minutes, 3 times a week is infinitely better for you than the alternative.  In the USA, the alternative is usually sitting on the couch eating girl scout cookies.  20 minutes every now and then is so superior to not exercising that a meaningful comparison can't really be made.  It is infinitely better to do something instead of nothing.  Period.

If you can't manage 20, then manage 10.  Even doing 5 minutes now and then will beat total inactivity.  Don't ever get into the mind-set of, "If I can't do X, then I may as well not do anything at all."  Doing nothing at all is the worst possible thing for you to do.  Do something, anything.  Take the steps instead of the elevator.  Wrestle with your kids.  Chase them around the front yard.  It all adds up and it all has beneficial effects.

So, don't let yourself get discouraged.  A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.  You never know where that step will take you.

2.  Find the things that work for you, personally.  Me?  I like having a treadmill in the house.  I like to run right at suppertime, right before I eat.  Something about that particular exercise does it for me.  It doesn't do it for everyone.  An exercise that's convenient and pleasant for you to do is superior to one that you consider a hassle. 

I know that home exercise equipment gets a bad rap, but frankly, I own a lot of it, and over the years, I've gone through phases where I've worn out each and every one.  (Okay, the concept 2 rower hasn't gotten as much use as I'd like, but that one is relatively new.) 

Folks will tell you that an elliptical isn't a workout, or that treadmill is inferior to elliptical, or that rowers are the best of the bunch, whatever.  They'll say that walking is a waste of time.  They'll say that weight-lifting won't cause you to lose weight.  They'll say that it's hard to hit your target heart-rate while cycling or rollerblading.

Are those things true?  Well... yeah, they're all true to a degree, which is what makes those statements so insidious.  All those things will discourage you and talk you out of doing beneficial activities.  Ignore them.  If you like to lift weights, lift weights.  If you like to walk, walk.  It's your life, and it's your thing.  If you're doing anything at all, you're far better off than most people.

If it works for you, it works for you.  All you need is an elevated heart rate while doing something you don't mind doing.  So, find what you like and just do it.

3.  If you want to lose weight, you're probably going to have to diet.  There was one period of my life where I was able to eat anything I wanted and still couldn't get myself above "skin and bone" level.  However, my daily workout routine would be something like a 7 mile run, 25 mile bike and 3,000 meter swim workout.  That's all in one day, and that was considered an easy day.  Hard days had stuff like 20 mile runs, 2 mile swims and 100 mile bike rides in them.

Other than that, I have literally gained weight while in peak mileage training for a marathon.  That's how much of a factor diet is in this equation. 

So, why exercise?  Hey, we're a vain nation and we all want to look better, right?  Trust me on this, you can still be on the heavy side, but much healthier.  Also, weight isn't the sole measure.  A lot of the time, the scale isn't showing much of a difference, but your body is re-shaped and more fit and toned.  However, the benefits to your heart health are well worth it, even if your weight loss is negligible.

Once your heart stops working, it's "game over".  There's no reset button on this one.  So, even if you don't lose weight, the exercise is worth it.

4.  There are a lot of things you can do to "diet" that don't involve much sacrifice.  How much genuine satisfaction did that Big Mac value meal give you?  Seriously.  Half the time I eat one, it's poorly prepared, the fries aren't good and the bun is stale.  (Unfortunately, the other half of the time, I experience a near-ecstasy, but we'll set that aside for the moment.)

Even the fast food places have healthier alternatives.  Me?  I will still eat burgers and fries and now and then, I'll go totally off the deep end once in a while.  However, I probably get as much satisfaction from a kids meal as I do from a big mac value meal.  It's still not good for me.  We're talking 500 calories and 200 of them from fat.  But compared to the 1,000 calories from a medium big mac value meal (and sorry... I don't usually get the medium), it's a huge improvement.

Yes, you can totally overhaul your diet.  You can go on a rice and chicken breast diet (which I do, frequently), but the best diet is one you can sustain.  Getting a diet coke instead of a regular coke is HUGE in terms of calories consumed.  Drinking Powerade Zero instead of Gatorade with sugar is huge.  Getting a McDonald's hamburger instead of a big mac is huge.

To me, these are choices that are easy to make because they don't involve much sacrifice. 

It may surprise folks to know what the actual calories are of some of their food choices.  The series of "eat this, not that" books is a good thing, in my opinion.  The books are exactly what the title suggests.  They give guidance like, a Whopper with cheese is 760 calories.  A big mac is 540.  If you have to chose between the two, go for the Big Mac.

In the example above, that's about 30% fewer calories for what most people would consider a comparable experience. 

Trust me on this:  if we all consumed 30% fewer calories, we'd all lose weight.

5.  If at all possible don't do this alone.  Find a workout partner.  Walk with a friend.  Run with a club.  In the age of the internet, if you can't do any of the above, post your workouts on Facebook.  Your friends will be encouraging and supportive and it'll give you a chance to brag a little about what you're doing.  All this provides encouragement to not give up.

6.  The hardest part of any workout?  Putting your shoes on.  Seriously.  The workout is almost never that bad once you get going into it.  However, getting ready to do it?  Eeeek.   I think that's why running in my home is so much easier for me than running outside.  If I run in my home, I put on shorts, shoes, and start running.

If I run outside, I probably want a shirt (and certainly any unfortunate spectators want me in a shirt).  I want to know when was the last time I drank, and if I drank, how much, because I don't want to be 2 miles out and have to pee, etc. 

Look for workouts that involve a minimum of hassle.  If you have to change clothes, arrange a sitter, drive someplace, be somewhere at a certain time, every one of those things is a chance for you to say "screw it" and decide to do something else.  (See previous comment on girl scout cookies and the couch.)

Get dressed and then let things take their course, but get dressed.  Once you get that far, you may find that the rest isn't as bad as you thought.


Anyway, that's all I have for today.  Waiting for my son to come over.  I should probably throw on some shorts and hit the treadmill for a couple of miles while I'm waiting.

1 comment:

Erin said...

I absolutely love your take on this. I know so many people who fall into the category of "I can't do enough, so I just won't do anything". You should really send this article to the newspaper or try to get it printed in magazine. It is really good. Your perspective is excellent and very down to earth. Thanks for a good read.