Monday, November 8, 2010

A Navy Reservist Walks Into an Arab Shopkeeper's Store...

Okay, that's not the setup to a joke.  That's what happened yesterday when we went to Dearborn.  One of the things we did was go into a store that specialized in Arabic language DVDs and CDs.  The store-owner was watching a documentary about the American military in Viet Nam, which I found more than a little odd. 

Below the TV was a picture of a handsome young man in ACUs (Army Combat Uniform) and the new black beret that all Army troops wear.  (Now that the black beret has been de-Rangerized.)

I asked who the young man was, and he said, "He's my son.  He's in Iraq right now."

The tone of his voice struck me as more worried than proud, but proud nonetheless.  I can't imagine what it would be like to have a young son in harm's way.  I think if my son were to ever spend a year in a war zone, that would be a year without sleep for me.

I am embarassed and ashamed to admit that I had quite a bit of anti-muslim sentiment after 9/11.  I wasn't about to commit a hate crime.  I also was as friendly as possible to anybody who appeared Muslim when I met them in day-to-day life. 

My disdain was more for the group than for individuals.  Generally speaking, in my life, I've found it difficult to dislike individual people.  Groups?  I can dislike the heck out of them, but if there's a hardness of heart that allows a person to look another person in the eye and dislike them just for what they believe, I don't have it.

The one thing that cracked that facade for me was knowing that thousands of Arab-Americans are wearing the uniform in harm's way.  Some of them will never come home.  By home, of course, I mean to America.  Mike Monsoor comes to mind, and I know there are others.

Arab Americans feel uncomfortable in the United States in the days after 9/11.  Granted, I think some of them bring a lot of this on themselves.  If you wear a burkha, you sort of subject yourself to ridicule in my opinion.  Now, though, you probably subject yourself to hostility.  I mean, how much of that is really necessary to practice Islam?  Who knows.  I know I don't. 

The fact that people can let their conscience dictate what they feel is an appropriate level of piety and religious observance is one of the greatest of our freedoms, in my opinion.  Don't force your beliefs on me, and I won't tell you how you should believe. 

In addition to being a form of common courtesy, and observance of the golden rule, we actually have this idea spelled out in the constitution.

It's so easy to demonize people who speak differently, dress differently, worship differently. 

Ultimately, though, I could never quite escape the conclusion that doing so is hateful and not particularly clever. 

I learn lessons from my boy all the time.  One of the more important ones is that way he accepts and appreciates all people, regardless of appearance.  He thinks differences are interesting and entertaining.  However, he judges people by how they act, not what they look like.

He once stood up for a kid at school named Rouch, who was being teased because his mother had packed him some Dora the Explorer yogurt.  They were good friends until Rouch moved away.

When he graduated from pre-school, when everybody got a little award, his was obvious and probably easy to identify.  His award was called "Everybody's Friend". 

In this way, I really try to be like my son.  To judge less, to accept more.  To appreciate the goodness and humanity in everybody.

It always amazed me that during World War II, my grandmother's brothers served.  They were Hungarian and suffered discrimination during the 30s.  When the war started, though, they raised their hand and fought for their country.  Not Hungary:  they fought for the United States of America, even though they were first generation Americans.

In my opinion, too many people take being American for granted.  However, that Arab-American shopkeeper and his son clearly do not.

I feel a kinship and fellowship with them as my countrymen to a greater degree than I do with many who have never had to examine what makes them American.

I'm very, very glad to have taken this class.  I'm also fortunate that although I don't live in the most racially diverse community, that the greater Toledo area has a high percentage of Arab Americans.  There is also a Hindu temple about a mile from my house. 

As a person who experiences the world primarily with my stomach, I eat at Indian Delis, and Lebanese restaurants every week. 

Now, do I believe that radical Islam is a problem?  Yes.  Do I think it's more of a problem than, say, radical Christianity or militant Judaism?  In all honesty, yes.

I also believe that my Arab-American and Islamic-American neighbors are really no different than I am.  They want to raise their kids to be happy and healthy.

They want to live lives of quiet prosperity.

UItimately, when push comes to shove, they see something unique and beautiful in America that is worth defending, is worth fighting for, and ultimately may be worth dying for.

I hope that Arab-American shopkeeper's boy comes home safe and sound.  We need all the great Americans here that we can get.

No comments: