Friday, November 19, 2010

From the Mouths of Kids...

Yesterday my son heard my Wall Street Journal podcast where one of the advertisers was selling something related to advertising.

He said, "Dad, you should buy that.  You should buy more advertising".

I said, "Oh, really?  Why do you say that?"

He said, "Because you only have that one TV commercial."

It gave me a chance to talk to him and explain a little bit about marketing. 

When I got to the part where I told him about our marketer, he was really interested.

"So, that person just goes around and talks to people?  He doesn't have to do any work?"

I had to laugh at that.  To him, the "work" of my business would be the heavy lifting involved in fixing a water damage, or cleaning a carpet or some other physical labor.

Driving around?  Talking to people?  To quote Dire Straits:  that ain't workin'. 

Actually, I hope there are good sales positions when he grows up.  He'd be perfect.  He's bright and handsome.  However, he's also genuinely personable.  He loves people.  I get comments all the time from adults about how outgoing and friendly he is.

Like most parents, I want my son to have a better life than I've had.  To be a better person and to do better things. 

Pretty much every day, he gives me every indication that he'll do just that.

No comments: