Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Way it Are...

Things are going pretty well these days.  I have had a sense of the blahs that really took hold this Winter.  I attribute it to my crappy business, but who knows.  Might be more to it.  The separation from Tessa, having to share Logan every other day.  It's all in there, I'm sure.

Business hasn't been that bad latey.  This is shaping up to be a good month.  We're still bumping along the bottom.  Our previous 12 months is worse than all but our first two years of business. 

At this point, I just need the business to hold it together for three more years.  After that, I'll be done with this, I think.  It'll be time to do something new, then.

I can tell I was getting depressed the past few months because now that I'm feeling pretty good, I'm taking care of things that I let slide for quite a while. 

Now that it's raining, things are almost back to normal with the business.  Back in our heyday, we averaged a bit over $80,000 a month.  Now, we're less than half, but show signs of getting up over the $50,000 level on a regular basis.  We'll see.  I still think the weather was the largest factor these past couple of years. 

Maybe not.  Like anything reasonably complex in an open system, a lot of this is just guessing.

Logan is doing really well right now.  I am just proud of the kid every day.  He's been hitting well in baseball.  (.400 for the past 10 games.)  I was really worried at the start of the season, but he really has gotten himself straightened out. 

Law school is barelling down on me.  I feel like it's just looming.  We'll have to see how it goes.  I'm torn between either trying not to take out any student loans (it's remotely possible) and taking out as many loans as possible and using the money to pay existing debt.  I should probably take the loans out.  If it turns out I don't need the money, I can always just pay the debt off, early.

Navy has been frustrating, but I think it always is.  Administration in the military is usually an adventure and the reserves are usually worse.  I wanted a class in Rock Island IL on certain dates, but they screwed things up for long enough that the class filled up before they got me straightened out.  I'll take a different class in Kettering, OH, but it might mean I'll have to miss my cousin's wedding.  I'll do whatever I can.  However, there's a possibility I'll miss it. 

That would suck.  This is one of Marianne's kids and I was always close to all of them.  Marianne and John were always exceptionally generous to me.  Like I said, I'll just deal with it as the time comes.  I'll probably beg my classmates and professor and see what I can do.  This class is sort of an intense two week class and I think they work through the weekends.  Maybe I can see if I can get a pass for the day on Saturday if I agree to do extra on Sunday or something.  Who knows.

That's pretty much it for the time being.  If the business can string together a few good months, I'll really be able to chip away at my debt.  I took on way too much these past two years.  I just never thought the downturn would be this bad and this protracted. 

I can still see scenarios where we're back to doing a million a year in volume, but it'll require a little help from the weather.  We haven't had much of that in a long, long time. 

No comments: