Saturday, October 3, 2009

Beatles On Sale!

Got an unusual deal today and it's a bit complicated, so I thought I'd blog it.

I was disappointed to check Amazon.com today and find out that the Beatles remastered box-set is going for over $200, now, and isn't available until November at the earliest.

I didn't pre-order, when I guess you could get it for something closer to $160.

I was at Target, which is the closest I get to upscale shopping.  I go there when I'm feeling a little too fancy for Wal-Mart.  Needed some rechargable batteries for the camera that I took the Logan video with today.

They had the remastered Beatles CDs, each available separately.  On the display case, it said that for every two that you buy, you get a $5.00 Target gift card.

They had 13 of them.  The only one that looked like it was missing is Let It Be.  That didn't bother me that much since I have found Let It Be almost unlistenable since Let It Be Naked came out.  The Naked versions are awesome.

I figured that the $5 gift card would offset the extra cost of individually packaged CDs.  I tested it out by grabbing Past Masters, which was listed as being $18.99, and Sgt Pepper's, which was listed as being $13.99. 

At the register, they had an additional discount.  Past Masters was $16.99.  Sgt Pepper's was $11.98.

So, I went back and got the other 11 that they had available.  Again, no Let It Be in stock at this particular Target.

All the single albums were $11.98.  The two double albums ("The Beatles" (the white album) and "Past Masters") were $16.99.  In this set, both "Past Masters" discs are combined in a double CD package, rather than having to buy them each separately.

So, the grand total?  It appears that I bought 13 of the 14 albums.  Total price paid was $165.76.  The check-out woman indulged me by breaking up the purchase so I could keep using the gift cards.  I redeemed a total of 6 gift cards at $5.00, each.

So, total cost for 13 of the 14 discs?  $135.76. 

I just need to get Let It Be someday.  I'd burn more gas trying to find a Target that has it in stock than I'd save on the promotion.  So, I got what was readily available at the place I was at and will get Let It Be sometime in the future.

Now, for the discs, themselves.  Some of the songs, frankly, I strain to hear any difference at all.  I did an A/B comparison of Paperback Writer and Day Tripper in both versions and really couldn't hear a difference.

Keep in mind that I'm listening to these on $1,800 powered monitor speakers (Dynaudio BM6As) in a room that's half covered in Auralex.  So, although this isn't the optimal listening experience, it's probably a step or two above, say, places that don't put $800 worth of foam in a room so you can hear speakers that cost nearly a grand, each.

Other songs, such as Sgt Pepper's had a distinctly better sound.  There was clarity in the individual parts of the songs. 

On other songs, like "Hard Day's Night" and "I Saw Her Standing There", I'm hearing things that I never heard before.  Or things I might have heard a little bit, but didn't really notice:  like the bongo drums on "Hard Day's Night".

What is most surprising to me is that songs I previously didn't really care for like George's compositions or songs like "Come Together" are now enjoyable.  I figure the songs weren't that strong, and combined with the technology of the day, they just didn't provide for a good listening experience.  Now, they sound good enough to make the songs worth a listen.

It's important to recognize that mastering compressors have come a long, long way in the last 40-50 years.  The EMI compressors used in both recording and mastering at the time, have a reputation of producing a "squishy" sound.  Some folks like it.  It gives stuff what is known as that "Beatles vibe".  However, there is a distinct difference in the articulation of the various components of the music. 

The new, distinct music sounds more modern, cleaner and is more enjoyable overall, in my opinion.  Sort of like, yeah, Howlin' Wolf recordings sound great despite their limitations, but darned if it wouldn't be cool to have him record with modern technology. 
The difference is noticeable on most of the songs, and nearly imperceptible on some others.  Although I'm glad I have these and enjoy them more and more the more I listen to them, I wouldn't say this is a must-have for every Beatles fan. 

I am ripping them to my PC in wave format, though, and will transfer them to my iPod in as lossless a format as possible. 

My advice?  Unless you've got a compulsive streak (who do I know like that?), put these on your wish-list and have people buy them for you one at a time as gifts.  It'll give great gift ideas for the next several years.  However, the difference isn't earth shattering.  They're the same recordings, with the same mix, just cleaned up a bit.  Many folks listening on more common stereo equipment are not likely to notice a difference at all. 

This is audio candy for the true Beatlephile / Audiophile.  They're worth having, in my opinion.  However, if money is tight, they might not be worth sacrificing for.

Post Script:  Target DID have Let It Be, but just not in the promotional rack.  Next visit, I picked it up.  So, total cost for the entire set of remastered discs was $142.74.  Nearly $20 less than the boxed set.  I had to buy an additional Sgt Pepper, which I'll give away as a gift, but Borders was selling these for about $18-19.  So, at $12, they're a bargain.

As a final note:  each disc has a little documentary you can watch if you pop it into your computer.  They're cute, but not that substantial.  They give you a glimpse into the general atmosphere at the time the recordings were made.  It's nice to hear John and George's voices again.

No comments: