Sunday, July 8, 2012

August Plans

It's already July, which sorta means I should come up with a plan for what I will be doing in August.  There are basically two possible ways this could go.  I got a tentative job offer for a position in Dayton.  However, things have progressed slowly with the offer. 

It's a great job.  I only wish I'd started with these guys sooner.  However, they have yet to give me a definite job offer.  Is it possible that a job offer won't materialize?  Yes, very possible. 

I can either start this job or go back to school in the Fall.  Either one is okay with me.  The only thing that would not be okay would be to neither start the job nor go back to school. 

Going back to school, which a few months ago seemed like an impossibility, is now actually very feasible to do. 

Between the two, I vacillate, but am starting to think that maybe finishing law school wouldn't be the worst idea.

First, it gives me two more years with my son.  Again, everything in my life is geared towards trying to be as big a part of his life as possible for the next seven years.  So, this gets me 2/7 of the way there.

Second, although Toledo is about as bad a market as there is for legal jobs, it is possible to earn a living as an attorney, here.  It can be done.  Hell, my divorce attorney is one rich mofo. 

Third, although the job is about as perfect as a job can be, there really isn't anything that compares to the earnings potential of being a highly compensated professional or small businessperson.  Yeah, you can also earn zero, a reality that I'm painfully aware of.  However, you can also earn a good deal if you do well.

So, although the job is a great, safe, steady path, it is possible to do better, financially, by pursuing a career in the law.

Another intangible is that I really would like to finish law school.  I have thought about this for about as far back as I can remember.

I did send a little query to the job folks in Dayton to ask if they were sure this was going to happen.  I'll give this a few weeks, but if I don't hear something concrete, I may need to pull up oars and plan on returning to law school in the Fall.

Honestly, at this point, I'd be happy with either outcome, but can't afford to not-do either one or the other next month.

No comments: