Thursday, June 7, 2012

Where Did the Time Go?

A great friend of mine from college, Scott, just sent me some old letters he's kept.  I mailed some of these twenty years ago.  Funny how times change.

Back then, I had just left Texas to live in Ohio with my grandmother after grandpa had passed.  My life, honestly, still hadn't really begun.  The 90s were a blur to me.  I was in school for most of them and advancing rapidly in my career throughout.

Then, the 21st century rolled around and I was married and raising a great little boy.  Now, in the blink of an eye, I look back and try to put myself where I was twenty years ago.

At this point, I should have some profound life-lessons to share with others.  Some valuable insights that would save future generations from a few pitfalls along the way.

The reality is, the longer I live, the more I'm sure I don't know anything.  If you had asked me twenty years ago, I would have had advice for every person on the planet.  Now, I'm not sure I have advice for anybody on anything. 

Strangely, I really haven't made much progress in the last twenty years.  I'm pretty much right back where I was two decades ago.  The biggest difference is this insanely fabulous little boy who brings me joy every single day.  Other than that?

Well... let's see:

1991:  I was broke
2012:  I am broke

1991:  I was trying to figure out how I was going to get my degree
2012:  I am trying to figure out how I will get my degree

1991:  I was trying to start a career
2012:  I am trying to start a career

1991:  I had just lost one of the grandparents who raised me
2012:  I just lost the other

Now, I know that most people my age wish they were in their twenties again... I guess I can be thankful for the fact that I basically still am.

When I look back at myself at in my twenties, all I can think is how much opportunity was ahead.  The only limitations on me were the ones I put on myself.  I'll be testing the idea that this is still true for me, now.

As for what it was like?  For those in their twenties wondering what they'll be thinking in their 40s?  I guess I'd just say this:  life just sorta happens.  You move towards goals when you can.  You survive when you have to.  The opportunities never end.  You won't have reached your goals in your 40s.  At least, you won't if you're lucky.  People hate the struggle, but people need the struggle.  It's part of what defines us as human beings.  As cliched as it sounds, it really isn't any particular destination.  It's the journey.

No comments: