Saturday, December 31, 2011

Of Guitars and Dreams

The guitar has always loomed large in my world.  For as far back as I can remember, I wanted one.  I had a few junky ones at various times in my youth.  I didn't really learn to play until I was 16 and just grunted it out using a book called "the Beatles Complete" that I borrowed from my friend, Stu Kemper.  He had a Vox Spitfire, which was an Italian made-knockoff of a Fender Stratocaster.  I never really played his guitar, but I envied him that he had it.  For my High School graduation, he and his parents got me my own copy of the Beatles Complete.  I learned how to play guitar using that book.

For my high school graduation, my Dad gave me $200 so I could buy a cheap acoustic guitar.  It was playable, much nicer than anything I had before.  Not the greatest guitar, but not the worst.  I was proud of that thing.  Played it a ton.  Took it halfway around the world with me to Korea.  I still have it today.

Once I had jobs and some money of my own, I bought guitars.  A brief list would include, at least, the following:

1.  Gibson ES-335 (1969-ish)
2.  Fender Precision Bass (Maybe 1974?)
3.  Gretsch Chet Atkins  (Probably 1960-ish)
4.  Ibanez Deluxe 59er (the "lawsuit" les paul)
5.  Aria pro II Urchin
6.  Some random Ibanez something or other.
7.  Kramer Pacer Deluxe
8.  Takamine Acoustic/Electric Classical Guitar
9.  2 Gibson Les Paul Standards
10.  A Gibson Les Paul Custom
11.  3 Different Melancon Guitars
12.  A Taylor 410CE
13.  I owned another Taylor CE at one time, but don't remember the number.  210?
14.  Two Modern Fender Stratocasters (Made in Mexico)
15.  A Yamaha BBGS something or other bass.
16.  A Fender Strat Plus

I have almost none of those guitars, today. 

This holiday season, my financial state is a little better.  I got another bass (a mexican Jazz Bass) and another guitar (a Dean Cadillac.)

It never ceases to amaze me how much more affordable most guitars are today, versus when I was a kid.

You have to wait and watch, but you can get professional quality instruments for next to nothing these days.

That Yamaha Bass cost just a tad over $200.  The Dean Cadi?  Less than $300.  (A Dean Cadi for those who aren't familiar, is their attempt at a Les Paul.  It has, among other things, a set neck, maple top, mahogany body, etc.  They're made in Korea, but frankly, Koreans make good gear these days.)

Even the standard Mexican Fenders are good guitars.  When I was a kid, I distinctly remember that a Fender Stratocaster cost about $450.  The Mexican Fenders are every bit as good and you can get them for around $450, brand-new.

One thing that sorta sucks is that the used gear is a LOT more expensive these days.  The coolest guitars I owned were the first ones I owned, because you could get some great guitars if you didn't mind used ones.

The Gibson ES-335, the Chet Atkins and the Lawsuit Les Paul are all regarded as amazing instruments today.

To get a new ES-335, it's probably over $2,000.  The new Chets retail for about $3,000 and they're not as good as when they were made in the USA.  The Lawsuit Les Pauls (so-named because Ibanez was sued by Gibson and then subsequently stopped production) were essentially Les Paul clones, but with bolt-on necks. 

So, I guess what has changed is that in the old days, if you kept your eyes open and had access to a few hundred bucks, you literally could buy the very best guitars money could buy, even if you had a minimum wage job and lived with your parents.  These days, you really can't do that.  E-bay has ruined that.

But what the internet taketh away, the internet also giveth.  You have to be hip to it, but things like the Dean... adjusted for inflation, that would have cost $130, maybe, back in 1982.  You absolutely could not buy a new, professional-quality instrument for $130 back then.  You can only find deals like that by scouring the net. 

Also, these days, a lot of countries are making really good guitars using CNC machines.  So, although the best guitars are still made in the USA, the majority of players will probably not be hindered by, say, playing a Mexican Stratocaster or something like the Dean Cadi.  (Though full retail on the Dean is still about $900, and the discounted retail price is about $470.  So, you have to find this stuff on a screamin' sale.)

I do love guitars, though.  I hope my son continues to be interested. I doubt I'll ever buy any more high-line gear for myself, but I'd gladly buy it for him if / when he shows he's ready for it.

No comments: