Sunday, December 18, 2011

It's a Wonderful Life

2011 is almost over and frankly, I don't think I'll miss it much.  This was a tough year that started off bad and ended on a pretty good note.  I think 2012 is going to be much, much better overall.

I started the year with the business in shambles.  I was in big trouble.  By March, it looked like I may have to declare bankruptcy.  However, by May or thereabouts, I had finally gotten the ship turned around.  We're still not out of the woods, but on much more solid ground than any time in recent memory. 

I feel pretty confident that the business is going to survive.  That we'll pay off all our debt by the end of 2014.  That this will continue to be a profitable business with a lot of upside potential. 

2014 is the target date for my next business enterprise.  I have no idea what it'll be, but I know I don't want to have all my eggs in one basket ever again. 

The other big thing is that I decided in the first part of this year to enroll in law school and lo and behold, I actually just finished my first semester.  I'm having a blast.  I really enjoy it.  It's a little tough because they deliberately schedule your first year classes to make it inconvenient for you to do anythng but school.  (They actually ask that you do not work at all during your 1L year.) 

2L and beyond, it gets easier to try to schedule your classes with a few weekdays off every week.  I will shoot to try and schedule all my classes 3 days a week, and if at all possible, 2.  That'll let me focus on building up my business again.  In a way, law school came at the right time.  My business needs time to heal, to lift itself up off the mat.  To slowly improve our finacial position. 

Being in law school gives me something else to obsess about as the business works though the long process of recovery.

Logan?  Still, my pride and joy.  This year, he made the Junior Cats travel basketball team.  He's still playing travel baseball.  He was absolutely insanely good at football this past year.  What a phenomenal athlete and awesome little guy.  I just love him.  He has always made me proud and every year he manages to make me even prouder, yet.

So, what can I say?  My life is pretty good right now.  I'm not rich like I once was.  Sold off the guitar collection and the four wheelers.  Singed, but not burned. 

On the upside, I have an awesome business, and enjoying a fantastic time in law school and have the best son I could ever have hoped for.  Life is really, really good.

So, here's to a great 2012.  2011 ended on a pretty high note.  However, I have every reason to believe 2012 will be even better.

No comments: