Thursday, October 13, 2011

Busy, busy, busy...

Haven't posted in a while.  I am seriously busy these days.  Logan has another week of football.  I'll be glad when that's done because it'll free up two hours on weeknights and game-time on weekends.  He may or may not play travel basketball.  We'll have to see how that goes.  If so, I won't be helping coach, though.  I've got way too much work to do for school.

School?  I'm starting to get the hang of it, but will need to really hunker down during the last month or so.  I am not really feeling stressed or overwhelmed.  I just feel like I need to make use of every minute of every day.

I am going to Ft Worth for drill this weekend.  They screwed up on on drill weekend dates and at the last minute, I got switched from last weekend, which would have worked out really well, to this weekend, which works out pretty badly.  Bad enough if you drill locally, but for a guy like me who is flying halfway across the country, it blows.

It also sorta hosed over my brother and sister in law who flew up here to visit.  We are still getting some time with them, but this really screwed things up.  If not for the fact that I won't be going to the next two drills, I'd have either rescheduled or taken unauthorized absences for this one.  However, I have a bunch of medical stuff to clear this weekend, in addition to my fitness test and weigh-in.  This is one of the weekends where I really can't afford to miss.

Navy also booted it on our hotel rooms.  This was supposed to be the year that we didn't have to double-up.  I usually get a single room, but they can never guarantee that.  I just am not dealing with a stranger as a room-mate at my age.  Not that they're bad as people.  Just that I'm not dealing with it.  So, in addition to paying my own airfare, airport parking and rental car, I'm also paying for hotel rooms whenever they double me up.  Serving my country continues to be my expensive hobby.

I was going to try and attend November drill, but I have my big memo due the week after that.  So, no way.  I'll be talking with my chain of command this drill to see how flexible they can be on allowing me to reschedule.  In the past, they were pretty good about it.  However, these days, half of our officers are gone.  I think they need me to step up, and I'm not really sure how much I can.  We'll see. 

This whole thing is possible, but it's not easy.  I guess that only stands to reason, though.  I don't really feel totally stressed out and overcommitted, but at a minimum, I have my plate full.

I'm eager for football season to end so I can dig into the material and start prepping for exams, though.  I figure one month of really going for it should get me ready.

No comments: