Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Everything and Nothing...

I'm in St. Louis for another day.  After I get my second convention check tomorrow, I'll hit the road so I can sleep in my own bed Wednesday night.  The older I get, the less I want to be anywhere other than my home.  My son is there.  My home is there. 

My friends, largely, are in other places, but that's my fault.  I'm sort of a hermit.  I'm hoping that law school in the Fall will give me a new circle of friends.  Yeah, they'll be too young or I'll be too old.  Still, I'll have a bunch of folks with something in common.

Speaking of friends, my brother is moving away and I'm sorta bummed about that.  He and his girlfriend have been awesome friends over the past several years. 

I got some new insights today about government contracting, which is something I've been thinking a lot about, lately.  I think I know enough to finally start trying to unravel this puzzle.  I got certified by the State of Ohio, but I really haven't done much with it. 

I need to get a federal certification as a small disadvantaged minority business owner.  That's for folks who have less than $200,000 in assets, which I clearly do.  I'll have to see how it goes.  I can see how this could be really big.  I just need to meet with the SBA and with the local Procurement Technical Assistance Center. 

If that works, I can see it sustaining my Servpro business for the foreseeable future.  If not, my days with Servpro are probably numbered.

The other thing is that if I get deployed with the Navy, I can qualify as a veteran owned business.  You have to be a veteran of a period of time when there was a war, for 90 days active duty or more.  I don't think my 2 weeks here and there qualifies.

I'm still wading through the mountain of prep-work for law school.  The Civil Procedure book is a freaking nightmare.  Booooring.  Civ Pro has the reputation as being the most gruelling of the 1L subjects and frankly, I can see why.

On the upside, I will have done one quick run-through of LEEWS by the time I finish my drive home.  If I manage to finish the Civ Pro E&E, that's half the E&E books I set a goal of reading.  I really would just need to finish up two more E&Es and then maybe do a referesher on LEEWS before school and I'll be ready to go.

I have a two week school in July that will finish up my education requirements for DAWIA level I certification.  After that, I submit my application packet and see if they award the certification.  If I get it, then if I get called up for duty with the Navy, it's almost certain that it would be in the role of a government contracting officer. 

Yes, there's a little bit of intersection between that and trying to be a government contractor, too.  I should know both sides of the issue if I get this thing done.

I'd been dragging lately because business really died on me these past two years.  I really was feeling hopeless about my life. 

Now, though, with Law School and the possibility of getting 8a certification to work on government contracts, I have something to look forward to.

Other than that, baseball season ends next week.  There's a Fourth of July tournament and that's it.  This season just FLEW by.  I have a little better idea of things to work on with Logan in the off-season.  Clay Snellgrove, my cousin's husband, and owner of Bases Loaded Baseball and Softball School has been a great resource for information and an invaluable sounding board as I deal with my neurotic nature as a travel baseball Dad.

He really, really did a remarkable thing this year.  He hit like crazy all off-season and then the coach, for some inexplicable reason, put him 11th in the batting order on opening day.  Logan responded by having 7 bad games in a row.  (1 total hit in 7 games.)  Then, we worked on a thing here and there and he went on a tear.  He's with the team's leaders in hitting and leads the team in on-base percentage. 

He really turned his season around.  I couldn't be prouder of him.

Logan has swim team until maybe mid-July, then football in August and Mavericks 11U tryouts right before school starts up again.

He's going into the 5th grade.  I just can't say enough positive things about the kid.  He's a wonderful kid.  Now that he's going to be 10 years old, I have one less year with him until he flies the coop.  8 more years with my favorite person.  I'm past the halfway point.

So, at this point, I'm looking forward to getting home.  The biz should throw off some good cash flow in the next couple of months, thank goodness.  I may be able to pay off another couple of credit cards before the Fall Semester rolls around. 

There'll be baseball Thursday through Monday and then that'll be it.  It'll be good to see my boy again.

No comments: