Thursday, May 6, 2010

Travel Baseball Schedule is Intense!

This is our off week, so we only practiced twice.  However, starting Monday, we're right back in the thick of it.  I guess until the season started, the thought of playing 50 games was more of an abstraction than anything.  I knew that it sounded like a lot of games, but until we actually got into it, I didn't realize how many games it really was.

The season started a little more than 3 weeks ago, and we've already played two tournaments, and 12 games, overall.  Yes, that's an average of about 4 games a week.  Figure an MLB team might average 5 games a week, and you get the idea.

We start up again the week of the 10th, and play 9 league games and a tournament before the month is over. 

In June, oddly enough, our schedule thins out considerably.  Right around the time that school lets out, we go down to one game a week for the last 3 weeks of June.  However, we have the state tournament in the middle of the month.

Then, the season ends with one last tournament in July, plus one remaining game the day after the tournament.

Intense.  Just totally intense. 

We're only about a quarter of the way through it and I'm exhausted just thinking about it.

I was excited to see Logan playing Mavericks baseball because I thought it would greatly increase his chances of playing in High School.  I think it will increase his chances, but not too sure it will greatly increase them.  I think if he develops normally, his chances of playing High School ball are pretty good, with or without Mavericks baseball.

It's too early to worry about it, but if he decides he wants to play rec next year, I'm fine with that.  I'm not sure I'd have said that at the start of the season.

A lot of where I'm coming from is from having seen the level of competition in the league.  Logan is one of the more talented kids.  He's batting well and is one of the better infielders on a team that's one of the better teams in the league. 

The other thing that's sort of strange is that all this organized baseball has really cut into the time where I work with Logan, one on one.  I'm the first to admit that I was and am a crappy baseball player.  However, I'm a pretty analytical guy and can teach a person a basic baseball swing.

I think, honestly, if we cut out one Mavericks practice a week for Logan and I worked with him on hitting, he'd be hitting even better.  Thing is, that's not such a burning need right now.  He's 2nd on the team in batting average right now, and he's been up with the leaders all season.  So, it's not like he's got major problems with his swing I need to correct.

More than anything, this has been fun for me!  Finally, a sport that I can follow where I care who wins!  I mean, I'm a Cleveland sports fan, and it's nice to have a sport to cheer and watch that isn't followed by abject misery and the star player, or the entire team, leaving town. 

I enjoy being bench coach and keeping the scorebook.  I enjoy being allowed to help with the practices. 

This whole thing is intense, though.  Our head coach is a frenzy of energy.  He has done a great job with the kids and if he had to be paid for all the time he put into this, we'd never be able to afford it. 

I wonder how I'll be feeling in 2 more months, though.  Actually, if we can make it to the 2nd week of June, we're home free.  The schedule gets a lot easier, then, with just one game a week and 2 tournaments.

No comments: