Friday, April 23, 2010

My Boy is "Streb"

Much like Neo in the Matrix, or Muhammed Ali, there's a special significance attached to names that we select for ourselves, versus the ones we are given at birth.  I've been called a lot of names in my life, some of them not very complimentary.  The one name that has almost always been used in a positive light is "Streb", which is, of course, an abbreviation of my last name.  (It is also, coincidentally, the actual last name of some people.  So is "Streby".)

My son is almost 9 years old, but he already surpasses me in some areas.  He has been able to, for the past 2 years, run a mile faster than I can.  He is a far better baseball player than I am. 

It is the natural order of things.  As I age and decline, he is continuing on his trajectory towards the height of his powers.  As I must increasingly rely on maturity and perspective for my place in the world, he is approaching the zenith of his days of strength, speed and fiesty spirit.

There will be a day when I retire to a rocking chair to look back on a lifetime of whatever achievements I have managed to assemble.  At that time, he will be in the prime of his life. 

On Logan's baseball team, there are two Logans.  It is the only name on the team for which there are two kids.  Ironic given that the name Logan was chosen, among many reasons, because I detested the idea that he would have a common name shared by a handful of other kids his age.

(He can thank his mother that I didn't have my way and name him "Wolfgang" or "Tristan".)

It causes some confusion during the game because the coaches are frequently shouting out instructions.  If they say "Logan, move back 3 steps", all of a sudden we've got two kids moving back.  You get the idea.

I started calling him "Streb", which feels wierd to me.  That's MY name, not his.  He's Logan.  I'm Streb.  It works, though, and it will probably stick. 

To me, the passing of my chosen name is significant in that it symbolizes a passing of the torch.  He's the ballplayer, now.  I'm just the guy on the bench with the stats book.  He'll be the kid in High School, then college.  As his father, I'm completely objective when I say he'll be the handsomest and most charming young man the world has ever seen.  I'll be the unremarkable small business owner who writes the checks.

I know that it is the dawning of an era where he is embarking on all the dreams in the universe.  Everything is open to him.  His possibilities are endless.

My life?  It's an awesome life, but the dreams I haven't accomplished by now have a time-limit and many of the will expire unfulfilled. 

So, as I give him my name, I pass the torch.  The years of your youth are a marvelous time.  I enjoyed them tremendously.  I accomplished more and did more and experienced more than I ever thought was possible.  I envy you that you have so much adventure ahead of you.

I have 9 more years to shape you into young manhood.  At least so far, it's been nothing short of an absolute joy for me.  Just as quickly as the past 9 years have passed, the next 9 will fly by as well.  I'll do all I can to cherish every moment, just as I've cherished every moment so far.

Go get 'em, Streb.

No comments: