Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Ferocious Baseball Midgets!!!

Logan's team finally started their season.  It was a great opener against one of the tougher teams in the league.  Logan's team, the Mavericks, won 20-11. 

They scrimmaged (and beat) a bunch of 10 year olds the other day, and all I could think was, "Look at these kids.  Those 10 year olds are all much bigger.  They've had a year more to develop, and this bunch of 9 year olds is beating them pretty handily."

To me, our team looked like a bunch of ferocious baseball midgets.  Little kids who can't necessarily be trusted to cross the street by themselves (depending on the street), and who can barely haul their bat bags around, but who hit, throw and field like demons. 

I'm glad the season started.  This team had literally been practicing for the past 8 months.  We had a few scrimmages at the end, but 8 months is a long time for 9 year olds to work on drills.  Our indoor facilities were awesome, but they were still indoor facilities that weren't the same as having an entire field to play games on.

I think Logan was starting to show some fatigue from the constant diet of baseball.  So, I'm hoping he gets re-energized now that the team is playing.  He has only had 1 month off from baseball since starting rec league a year ago. 

For the first time since Logan was born, I have started thinking that if Logan got to where he didn't want to do this, I don't think it'd be that bad for him to play rec ball for a year or two if he wanted to. 

I do think the level of coaching and facilities at this level is amazing.  He can't possibly get a better preparation and training.

However, I am also seeing that no amount of coaching and prep makes up for raw talent.  If I had to put a number on it, I'd say that 90%+ of what we're seeing on the field is the result of the kid's innate talent. 

So, I'll leave it up to him.  Prior to seeing all these teams, I would have said I'd rather he play travel ball.  Now, I'm not so sure.  I guess if your priority is to try and get your kid a scholarship or get him to pro ball, you want the most rigorous prep you can find.  For me?  I don't care if Logan ever does either of those things.  If it's important to him, then he should go for it.  If not, then I think his chances of making his High School team aren't that different.

Right now, though, this is just a blast.  The kids are amazing and I'm really looking forward to this season. 

No comments: