Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Turning of the Seasons

I drove to work on Monday in the dark.  First time this year.  The days are already getting shorter.  The first day of Fall is still more than a month away, but it feels like I'm putting away this year's Summer, now.

Logan starts school in a couple of days.  His first football game is next week.  In the seasons of sports and school, the Summer is essentially over.  He's starting the seventh grade, now.  He plays football for his school and will try out for the basketball team sometime November.

I feel like I'm really missing out on parts of his life.  Like a good many fathers and sons, sports always connected us.  It was where we spent our quality time together.  It was where I taught him to catch, hit, throw and shoot.  It was where he taught me to be patient with him because he was always trying his best.

Life is slowly but surely getting better but being away from him is the worst.  I've seen the worst of the trials of last year.  Things are on a slow uphill climb to "better".  I'm on much more solid ground.

I still wish my life were different in a big way.  I wish I wasn't in a hotel 3 hours away.  I wish I could watch every practice.  I wish I could be there for every game.  I'm afraid that despite my best efforts, I may not be able to.

So, that's what keeps me from feeling really good about the way my life is at the moment.  What will I ever be able to do about it?  Hard to know at this point.  So, I just put one foot in front of the other and keep trying to make progress.

Sometimes, you just cowboy up and do the best you can do.

No comments: