Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Week That Are Going to Be and Wuz

This is my last week before going to Dayton for a two-week Defense Acquisition class.  I'm not looking forward to being away from home.  I never do.  Two weeks is a chunk, though I should be off for the weekend.  I'll try to pick up Logan and we'll head over to my cousin's wedding in Akron. 

I drill in Texas the weekend after the class wraps up.

Two days off, then Law School orientation starts. 

A week after that, and it's Mavericks tryouts for Logan.  I'm hopeful there might be some changes in the coming year.  Hard to tell, though.  We'll just play it by ear.  Logan still seems to enjoy being on the team.  I have some issues with the way the team is run, but overall, I think the positives outweigh the negatives.  Sometimes we sports parents can get a little too critical in pursuit of the perfect experience for our little sportsters.

Speaking of, the coach of the High School basketball team arranges an open gym for the little kids once a week.  Logan went for the first time, ever.  I thought he did tremendously.  I was very impressed.  We've worked on his game a good bit over the past year, and the improvement really showed.  I hope to get him to as many of these open gyms as possible.  They arrange little games between teams with as many kids as show up. 

Although I vaguely remember that he wasn't the tallest kid on his rec basketball teams last year, he's really gaining size lately.  Both width and height.  I swear, he's twice as wide as he was last year.  He's also getting taller bit by bit. 

He's going into the 5th grade, and I had a small growth spurt right about this time.  I had a huge one between 6th and 7th grade.  Sometime in the next few years, he'll be getting taller.  His mother and I are not the tallest people you'll meet, but we're both taller than average.

It'll be interesting to see how things go. 

This week, he's got football camp at Sylvania Southview.  That's not the High School he'll likely go to, but the scheduling works out better.  Northview's camp was during his swim season.

After that, conditioning starts for football in pads during the 2nd week in August.  I'll be off in Dayton that week.

During that week, I also signed him up for Toledo Mudhens baseball camp.  I'm not sure that's an overly important camp for him to attend, but they do work on some baseball stuff.  He enjoys going.

So, for those who have not been following along on their own scorecard:

Logan just finished swimming.

We're starting basketball workouts.

He's got football camp this week.

Football in pads starts the week after that.

Baseball camp will be going on during the mornings during the first week of football.

Then, he has tryouts for the city's travel team at the end of the month.

Thing is, if we let him do more, he would.  The kid is just a dynamo.  At least we don't have skiing or swimming to contend with for a while, and he isn't into golf, yet.

I'm feeling pretty good about Law School right now.  By that, I mean I think I know what to focus my time on in order to do reasonably well.  I have no idea how this whole thing is going to go, but I feel prepared.  Maybe not as well as I could be, but just enough to set my mind at ease.

So, things are about to get intense.  I think Law School is not going to be difficult so much as it will be gruelling, especially with all my other committments.

I finally bought a couple of laser printers for the office and home so I can keep up with stuff more conveniently. 

The other pre-law purchase I need to make is a good dishwasher.  Washing dishes by hand just takes up too much time during the day.  I bet I spend an hour on it every day. 

The running workouts are going well.  Man, I'm fat.  I'm running 40 minutes a day, and squeezing in a rower workout whenever possible. 

Really, when I think about efforts to keep weight off, the way that worked both best and longest was working out.  I need to get back to running about an hour a day.  I think if I can do that, I should be able to get to where I want, fitness-wise.  I may even set a goal of another marathon, but we'll see how it goes. 

No comments: