Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Post Surgery Writeup Day one of Recovery

As though my nose needed anything more to make it look funny...

Surgery went pretty unventfully yesterday.  They opened up a constricted sinus opening that's probably been the source of my sinus infections over the years.  Even these days, I'll have to get antibiotics for an infection 3 or so times per year.

Really, the effects of the anesthetic were the worst.  I remember coming out of anesthesia and shivering like crazy.  I wasn't conscious enough to move or speak, but I remember thinking, "Hey, I'm freezing here... little help?"

I eventually regained full consciousness and they had to lower my blood pressure before they could transfer me to the next room.  Prior to surgery, my BP was about 115 / 73, with a heart rate of about 55.  Afterwards, apparently due to the vasoconstrictors they give you (to control bleeding during surgery), it was something like 190+ over something.  (Little groggy... was shocked enough about the 190+ number.)

They kept administering drugs and eventually that was it.  Got released. 

So far, the pain hasn't been bad at all.  I have some good drugs, but haven't felt the need to take them, yet. 

As for my nose, it's asymetrical and odd-looking.  Always has been, and I've always been self-conscious about it.

Right now, it's all swolen.  I look like Chief Wiggum on the Simpsons.  But it also looks like, ironically, the actions they took to straighten out all the plumbing inside are going to make it look more crooked on the outside.  Oh well.  At least I can play the banjo.

At least so far, the recovery is much, much easier than I had anticipated.  The hardest thing is that I can't blow my nose for 2 weeks.  I've been paranoid and compulsive about keeping blowing my nose for most of my life because of the constant sinus problems.  3 infections a year is what I get when I'm keeping them relatively clear.  I can't imagine what it'd be like if I didn't keep them clear.

Still, I'm on antibiotics.  So, I'll just be stuffy, but it isn't from an infection.  And at least so far, everything I'm spitting up or that ends up in the dressings is mostly blood. 

I think it'll be a quick recovery.  Oddly, even last night, I felt like I slept better and breathed better, even with all the congestion, etc.  I hope that's an indicator of things to come.

Also, I am considering dropping caffeine.  I feel a little different, probably better.  Had to fast for 12 hours prior to surgery, and I was a little pleasantly surprised by my blood pressure and heart-rate.  I'm going to see how it goes and may at least cut down or stick with decaf after lunch.

1 comment:

TexasPatrick said...

Cool beans man. Hope it works out for you. I can't imagine having three sinus infections a year.